FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has partnered with 1000+ nonprofits who support our mission while raising more than $7B in bequests to charities since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 200+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure. Check us out on Glassdoor!
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
About the Role
We are seeking a sharp, motivated, and proactive Head of Finance with excellent communication skills for this new role at FreeWill. You will be the driving force on all finance and accounting including strategic financial planning and analysis, budgeting, investor relations, reporting, expense planning, revenue recognition, and more. You will materially impact the bets that we make in order to grow the company and reach our mission of $1T for charity. You will be working closely with all departments, and be a key member of the exec team.
You must have demonstrated the ability to work at a fast pace with a high level of accuracy and excellent attitude. Both detailed work and high level analyses are major components of the job, and handling things quickly, correctly, and efficiently are core elements to success.
To be successful in this role, you must be genuinely interested in the business and needs of others. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic, driven, and experienced individual interested in adding value, learning, and growing with the organization.
This role will report to Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Jenny Xia Spradling.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don’t think that an individual’s pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. The offer for this role will be a base salary between $170,000 to the mid $200,000 range, depending on experience.
- Use modeling in order to support decision-making on wide-ranging company strategic decisions
- Manage our controller, accounting contractors, and any future hires in the finance department
- Make decisions on headcount growth, salaries, and equity & inform decisions on benefits in coordination with HR team and co-CEOs
- Own all investor relations, from monthly and quarterly reporting to board materials
- Oversee all day-to-day accounting activities, including monthly financial closes, collections, billing, AR/AP strategy, expense reports, cash management, tax, and reconciliations
- Oversee revenue reconciliations and manage ARR, booked revenue, and the switch to GAAP and ASC 606 reporting
- Assess and optimize our processes around budgets, spending and reimbursement processes, and cash and credit management
- Create budgets and forecasts with our Co-CEO; inform execs on QTD and YTD spending relative to budget
- Play a key role in all fundraising and M&A activities
- Lead special projects, such as maintaining key metrics including headcount ratios across teams, CAC payback, and new and existing product pricing
- 4+ years of experience in finance and accounting at a SaaS company, preferably in startups
- Superior Excel modeling skills
- Superior communication skills and fine-tuned attention to detail
- Strong GAAP and financial reporting skills
- Strong strategic financial analysis skills
- Comfort moving quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Smarts, tenacity, and kindness
- Experience managing an independent financial audit process is a plus
- Experience designing SaaS pricing is a plus
- Experience with Quickbooks Online and payroll providers is a plus
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. For this role, we can consider visa transfers for candidates who are currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a valid visa.
Don’t check off every box in the requirements listed above? Please apply anyway! Studies have shown that marginalized communities – such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color – are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. FreeWill is dedicated to building an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace that fosters a sense of belonging – so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to still consider submitting an application. You may be just the right candidate for this role or another one of our openings!