Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
WHY WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU:
Our sales engineering team is critical to Retool. Sales Engineers drive revenue by partnering closely with potential customers and ensuring they’re successful with Retool. A large portion of the Retool sales process is technical, ensuring potential customers understand how to build internal apps with Retool, deploy on their infrastructure, and connect to their critical resources. Building successful relationships with our customers is a key component of this role and you’ll leverage your engineering background to dive in. Our revenue and business goals this year are aggressive, and we need the right team to help turn prospects into happy Retool customers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Your workday will never be boring. You’ll dive deep with prospects to understand their technical environment and their business goals. You’ll create and deliver demos, build apps within Retool with prospects, answer technical questions, and manage the technical close throughout the sales cycle. At this stage in Retool’s journey, we’ll also look to you to help build new processes and programs to help our sales team meet and exceed quota.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH:
You’ll join our team of Enterprise Sales Engineers and partner closely with our Enterprise Account Executives. You’ll also work cross-functionally with the rest of the go-to-market team. You’ll be joining a broader team of Retools who are passionate about serving our customers, enjoy collaborating to build an incredibly innovative product, and partake in some occasional but well-intentioned sarcasm. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
IN THIS ROLE, YOU’LL:
- Talk with potential customers, understand their problems, and assess whether or not Retool is a good fit
- Identify relevant stakeholders, budgets, timelines, etc. and manage the entire sales process
- Demo the Retool product, answer questions about Retool, ultimately convincing them Retool is the correct solution
- Create technical content to demonstrate best practices (e.g. sample apps, documentation, videos, etc.)
- Suss out the blockers for a customer in adopting Retool, and overcome them
- Dive into our codebase to understand technical limitations in Retool that need solving via code (e.g. a bug, a missing feature, etc.) to close a deal
- Serve as the primary, ongoing technical point of contact for our users in the presales process
- Answer technical questions from our customers as they come up
THE SKILLSET YOU’ll BRING:
- Experience working in the presales phase with large Enterprise customers
- An enthusiastic, strong, technical generalist
- A background in computer science or a related field
- Technical experience in a professional environment, ideally a startup
- Strong knowledge of SQL, various no-SQL databases, APIs, etc.
- Comfort exploring Retool’s codebase (React / Node)
- Previous experience talking with customers and solving their problems
- Ability to think on your feet, and solve problems during calls with technical customers
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Retool is currently set up to employ all roles in the US and specific roles in the UK. To find roles that can be employed in the UK, please refer to our careers page and review the indicated locations.
To apply for this job please visit retool.com.