What’s better for the environment should be better for business!
SmarterX specializes in the classification of consumer chemical products, providing businesses and individuals with accurate, accessible, and actionable information to make better decisions about these crucial products.
Retailers, manufacturers, distributors, and transportation companies use our decisioning services to ship, handle, store, and dispose of regulated products while maintaining environmental safety and regulatory compliance. Our services help companies reduce costs, remain compliant, avoid costly fines, and reduce their environmental impact.
We seek an enthusiastic and highly motivated Data Intern to join our Innovation team at SmarterX for approximately 3-6 months in our Boulder office. In this role, you will gain invaluable hands-on experience by analyzing data, creating classifiers and building AI data models. With an eagerness to learn, you will actively contribute to our mission by supporting the team’s groundbreaking efforts in product classification. If you are a proactive learner with a strong interest in data science and innovation, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Analyze and interpret data to provide actionable insights and assist in the development of innovative chemical product classification strategies.
- Assist in creating classifiers for consumer chemical product data, ensuring accurate and efficient product classification.
- Create prompts and fine-tune Large Language Models to help classify products.
- Conduct QA tasks for the team’s work, providing feedback and identifying areas for improvement to ensure the highest quality outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Innovation team, including regulatory and chemistry subject matter experts, data scientists, LLM experts, and data analysts, actively contributing to the team’s dynamic and diverse environment.
- Develop and refine your data analysis skills through continuous learning and exposure to the latest tools, techniques, and industry best practices in data science and chemical product classification.
- Present your findings and insights during team meetings and discussions, effectively communicating data-driven information to both technical and non-technical audience members.
Your Experience + Skills:
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of a relevant program related to data science, data analytics, computer science, or a similar field.
- Current use of GPT/LLMs
- Basic knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Java, or R, and familiarity with data analysis and visualization tools.
- A strong desire to learn and expand your skill set in data analysis, data science, and chemical product classification.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Strong communication skills for presenting findings, insights, and suggestions in a clear and concise manner.
Compensation from $25-35 / hour based on experience (Please note that the benefits below do not apply to interns but if you end up joining us full time after school we thought you might like to see them!)
Your Benefits & Perks
- Competitive Compensation
- Stock Options
- 401k Program with Non-Elective Company Contribution
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance Covered at 95%
- Generous Family Leave
- Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Discounted Pet Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off and 14 Company Holidays
- Job Related, Continuing Education Support
- All-Hands Offsite, Volunteering
- Remote First
- Remote Office Stipend
- Annual Costco Membership
- Annual State or National Parks Pass
You choose us not only because this is the role you’ve been waiting for, but also because we are a purpose-driven company committed to our mission. You’ll be joining a group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, recovering consultants and national account program managers whose passion for data-driven sustainability drives us. You choose us because our values resonate with you. At SmarterX this means: We do what it takes. We begin from a position of curiosity. We are driven to become experts. We are real. We have grit. You share our belief that a healthy culture is key to the company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
At SmarterX, we understand that a workforce that includes a robust mix of genders, ages, ethnicities, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds is more likely to reflect a variety of perspectives and thought patterns – leading to more innovation, brainstorming, problem-solving and strategizing. That is why we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.