The Marketing Manager will raise the visibility of The Yard, support for its mission, and engagement in its programs through creative and strategic outreach. They will oversee and implement marketing and communications strategies for The Yard and fulfill aspects of its development operation, working closely with the Yard’s development team. They will work collaboratively with other members of The Yard’s team to build the organization’s brand, grow and diversify its audience, and expand its donor base and overall contributions.
The Marketing Manager will oversee a team of media contractors who provide services in photography, graphic design, website design and management, and social media. During the summer season when The Yard is most programmatically active, they will mentor and manage a Marketing Intern.
The ideal candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit and be creative in building the visibility and brand of The Yard.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement organizational brand and marketing strategies to ensure coherent messaging and a unified voice throughout communication channels
- Market all Yard programming and create innovative strategies for amplifying the work of artists-in-residence and communicating The Yard’s impact
- Create and manage marketing plans, calendar, and budget
- Engage with artists and partners to inform marketing materials and strategies, and coordinate marketing material collection from artists and partners for season announcements and general promotion
- Draft, design, manage, and distribute a range of external and internal communications including all email marketing and press releases
- Manage a team of contractors who provide photography, videography, social media, graphic design, website design and upkeep, and other media services and oversee related asset creation
- Project manage and support content creation for all digital campaigns and platforms (social media, email marketing, website)
- Collaborate with the Program Director to continue enhancing storytelling about Yard programs, partners, and community impact.
- Coordinate production and distribution of all print materials (season booklets, performance programs, etc), driving content, overseeing timelines, and managing third party printer relations
- Oversee merchandise sales, including replenishing inventory, overseeing new designs and production.
- Manage The Yard’s media buying and advertising to promote performances and elevate brand
- Manage The Yard’s primary database program SPEKTRIX. Act as a liaison to Spektrix agents,
- working with them and Yard staff and volunteers on all database related needs.
- Work with the Yard’s Development Team to design and execute creative and effective campaigns
- to identify, cultivate, and solicit donors including through creation of fundraising materials
- Support the growth of The Yard’s annual giving program, attracting and retaining donors at all levels of giving
- Expand opportunities for program sponsorships and advertising revenue
- Support the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other volunteers as appropriate with
- solicitation efforts, including by conducting background research, providing materials, and
- managing follow up
- Contribute to implementation and management of Spektrix database for development, email marketing, and ticketing, maintaining data hygiene practices and strengthening data-driven decision making
- Work to streamline and enhance outreach efforts with new database capabilities, including audience segmentation
- Track, analyze, and report on outcomes in both marketing and development and propose recommendations for improvement
- Develop and manage aspects of The Yard’s annual budget
- Represent The Yard at conferences and other community events, growing and fortifying The Yard’s network on the island and beyond
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
The Yard has a small, dynamic staff and relies on cross-departmental collaboration. All positions are expected to routinely contribute in areas outside of their primary focus to ensure successful programs and operations. Examples include but are not limited to answering the office phone, assisting with campus projects, providing support to artists-in-residence, and helping set up for and strike performances and events.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Evidence of connection with The Yard’s mission and values
- Experience in marketing and communications
- Experience managing supervisees
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and track record of developing meaningful professional relationships
- Cultural competency to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and life experiences
- Ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously within a small organization
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and adept at managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with email marketing services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, or other
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Experience working in development and fundraising
- Passion for visual and written storytelling
- Knowledge of dance and the performing arts
- Experience living or working in a rural place
- Experience working with CRM platforms such as Spektrix, Salesforce, or other
- Experience working with in InDesign, Photoshop, or other creative suite programs
- HTML knowledge
Salary, Benefits & Physical Requirements:
- Salary range: $45,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience.
- The Yard offers a health benefit package, a $4,000 summer housing stipend, and cell phone reimbursement
- Paid time off and flexible schedule with requirement to work some weekends and evenings
- Professional development and travel opportunities
- Live on Martha’s Vineyard from mid-May to mid-September, and otherwise primarily within the Northeast region