UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 12/8/2023 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 12/20/2023. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego’s Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health (HWSPH) is dedicated to health and social equity and has over 100 faculty working across preventive medicine, biostatistics, epidemiology, global health, health policy, health equity, mental health and substance use, and environmental and climate health. HWSPH administers PhD programs in Public Health and Biostatistics, a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program, an MS in Biostatistics, and a robust undergraduate program (BSPH). HWSPH has strong collaborative research programs with partners across the UC San Diego campus and surrounding community agencies in San Diego County and the State of California.
Reporting to the TREDS Deputy Director, the Marketing Specialist 3 is responsible for research, development and implementation of outreach and engagement activities. These activities must increase participation of target audiences in traffic safety train-the-trainer programs and 1) grow the number classes delivered by trained instructors, and 2) grow the number of participants completing online instruction. This position will write, edit, design and review all print and digital communications/materials targeting law enforcement, public health and social service professionals; coordinate all co-branding, promotional, marketing and outreach efforts; identify, cultivate and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholder organizations nationally and implement marketing strategies targeted towards professional associations that focus on public safety; collaborate with partner organizations to develop, implement and evaluate cooperative strategies for increasing the adoption of TREDS curricula and products.
Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced marketing professional to perform the full range of marketing activities, including coordinating events and developing and implementing promotional strategies, materials and products designed to promote awareness among traffic safety stakeholders statewide and nationally. Has a full understanding of industry practices and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues.
- Seven (7) years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree in related area and three (3) years of relevant experience in a marketing or communication role and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques. This includes a demonstrated ability to gather/analyze marketing data and develop, or direct the development of, targeted promotional opportunities and materials. Experience with marketing and outreach targeting traffic safety community and injury prevention. Degree in Communications preferred.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication and political acumen skills. Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate effectively in person, on the telephone, and in writing, with individuals and groups of widely varying ages, ethnicity, and educational and professional backgrounds.
- Thorough analytical and written communication skills. Experience with grant application writing and submission.
- Strong skills in event and media activities management. Specific experience within the healthcare, public health and/or research field.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing marketing campaigns to achieve set goals.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing mediums and funding sources.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate partnerships and collaborations with team members, public health organizations, or other constituencies in state and nationwide.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical abilities to recognize potential problems, independently resolve problems, communicate higher level problems to supervisor, evaluate and suggest solutions and recommendations, and to develop and initiate a plan to complete job goals efficiently and effectively.
- Proven skill to prioritize and pace multiple and complex responsibilities on several projects, simultaneously on schedule, with the ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions, fluctuating workloads, travel schedules, changing priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to produce from concept published materials including brochures, flyers, presentations and ads relevant to the promotion safe driving practices. Demonstrated ability to use desi