In this role, you will:
- Be a “leader of leaders” – responsible for leading an organization of roughly 50 crew members. Run and lead staff. Provide guidance, training and motivation as vital to develop staff. Hire, evaluate, and counsel personnel. Follow corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures. Serve as a mentor to crew by providing guidance on processes and specific feedback on their work.
- Set a compelling vision for communications work and establishes distinct objectives to measure progress. Advise operations to ensure a coordinated, uniform editorial voice across the retirement plan website and other digital outlets, social media, and cross-plan communications.
- Develop content strategy that 1.) Drives financial well-being for our participants and 2.) delivers insights to our plan sponsors
- Engage in communications planning. Influence positioning for key initiatives and topics. Evaluates how communications influence participant behaviors and applies sound judgment in developing crucial messages.
- Consult with business leaders and program management to implement crucial communications, educational and promotional programs that achieve business goals, support client satisfaction and influence sound participant decision making.
- Supervise key technology system (CTS) including upgrades, product enhancements, workflows, and day-to-day troubleshooting.
- Lead team responsible for accounting/tracking and reporting of plan sponsor education allocation budgets. Partners with CFS and client consulting to ensure accuracy and feed into enterprise financial systems.
- Handle budget, develops staffing plans, and forecasts capacity and hiring needs. Complete regular updates to unit hiring plan and expense budget forecasting; approve and supervise expenditures within financial authority. Recommends or leads cost spend/save initiatives.
- Establish and supervise quality/audit and process measures for unit. Analyze data and research root cause leading to improvement initiatives.
- Develop content across all channels (web, mobile, email, print) with a primary focus on digital.
- Champion and interpret branding standards. Support strategies and programs that advance the consistent representation of the Vanguard brand across channels. Ensure that results meet all brand standards, marketing objectives, and compliance/regulatory requirements.
- Develop effective working relationships with staff, peers, management, team members, and business partners. Effectively communicate plans to all impacted parties and ensures that process/procedural changes are documented. Stay abreast of Vanguard’s business and driven environment.
- Participate in special projects and accomplishes other responsibilities as assigned.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience; graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of related business experience, including five years of specifically related experience with shown excellence in writing and/or editing, is preferred.
- Proven expertise with creative processes.
- Experience in leading multi-channel, multi-segment marketing campaigns a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of standard methodologies in online communications.
- Extensive knowledge of financial topics and Vanguard products and services.
- Proven track record to explain sophisticated subject matter in plain English.
- Shown organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and professional demeanor.
- Ability to provide guidance and mentoring to creative professionals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
How We Work
Vanguard has implemented a hybrid working model for the majority of our crew members, designed to capture the benefits of enhanced flexibility while enabling in-person learning, collaboration, and connection. We believe our mission-driven and highly collaborative culture is a critical enabler to support long-term client outcomes and enrich the employee experience.