Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding – valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names – Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation is looking for a world-class product marketing expert with a proven track record of success in B2B software marketing in the data space. We’re looking for someone who enjoys not only positioning and messaging but also driving sales and channel enablement, and leading and mentoring a team in product marketing best practices. This includes doing hands-on work to deeply understand our technology and customer adoption as well as drive the strategy for communicating the benefits of our technology to the market.
If you’re passionate about technology, understand the data and analytics markets, and are excited to join a team that’s building the leading data intelligence platform to enable a data culture through self-service analytics, data governance, and cloud transformation in the enterprise, then we want to talk with you. You’ll enjoy working with an amazing foundation of brand-name customer references and recognition by some of the top analyst firms to build momentum in the market.
Forrester recently named Alation a 2023 Leader in the Data Governance Wave, IDC recognized Alation in 2022 as a leader in the Data Catalog MarketScape, and Dresner Advisory Services recognized Alation as #1 in both Data Catalog and Data Governance Wisdom of Crowds research studies. We’re looking for a seasoned product marketing director to lead and grow the Alation platform core product marketing team. It is a unique opportunity to build for success at a mature pre-IPO software company with an amazing team!
What you’ll be doing:
- Reporting to the VP of Product Marketing, lead a team of product marketers driving the messaging and positioning of the Alation data intelligence platform and solutions.
- Work closely with our product team to understand fully the Alation products and technology and be a strong voice in the product roadmap, reflecting customer preferences and industry trends.
- Craft the value proposition for our products based on a deep understanding of market drivers and customer requirements.
- Develop messaging for Alation-driven solutions in active data governance, AI & ML, cloud data migration, data quality, metadata management, and privacy, risk & compliance.
- Lead the art and science of creating differentiated and crisp messaging that captures the core value proposition to our target audience, applied consistently throughout go-to-market communications and channels.
- Collaborate with technology alliance partners and partner marketing on the positioning and messaging of Alation within the broader data ecosystem and reference architectures to deliver business outcomes for Global 2000 customers.
- Be a thought leader in the industry with a track record of technology evangelism across speaking engagements, press and industry analysts, articles, blogs, and social media.
- Be a prolific content creator for presentations, technical white papers, and sales enablement materials, leveraging your brilliant messaging skills.
- Collaborate with competitive intelligence, analyst relations, partner marketing, revenue marketing, and corporate communications to catalyze broad GTM initiatives to generate awareness and demand for Alation products.
- Deliver proven sales tools that enable our field sales and channel partner teams to initiate and progress opportunities with prospects and customers.
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience in product marketing at a prior company in the data catalog, data governance, analytics, business intelligence, application middleware, data integration (ETL, wrangling), database, or metadata management market.
- 5+ years of experience leading teams in product marketing.
- An intense passion for writing, storytelling, and visual content development.
- Proven ability to develop product positioning and messaging that differentiates a product in the market and drives sales results.
- A portfolio of published content, in either online or traditional media, that you are willing to share with us.
- Self-starting attitude, great communication skills, and attention to detail.
- BA/BS degree required; MA or MBA is also a plus.
$175,000 – $230,000 a year
The base salary range is specific to the United States. The salary of the final candidate selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to internal equity, experience, education, work location, specialty, and training. If the final candidate has a different level of experience, the base salary target range may be lower or higher than what is published.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds – from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!